Originally converted from two imposing Victorian Villas, and formerly the home of the Duke of Norfolk, the hotel has been restored to its Edwardian grandeur. Guests staying in one of the 95 well appointed and fully equipped en suite bedrooms and suites are able to enjoy the hotel’s gardens and leisure facilities, including an indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.
Our Afternoon Tea is served in the warm and cosy Lounge or in good weather in our beautiful secret garden. Cocktails are served in our bar or on the Art Nouveau veranda from which you can enjoy the comings and goings on Richmond Hill. The Echoes Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner serving modern British cuisine in light airy conservatory surroundings. In the summer months guests wishing to dine ‘al fresco’ are welcome to enjoy lunch or dinner our heated garden.
Excellent transport links make the Norfolk Royale accessible and easy to locate. We are only a 10 minute walk from the nearest railway station and a 15 minute drive from the nearest airport. The hotel also has a private underground car park.
In 1870, two large villas on Richmond Hill in Bournemouth, built by the town’s founders Sir George Vision Tapps and his son Sir George William Tapps-Gervis, were amalgamated to make Stewarts Hotel.
During the 19th century the Stewarts Hotel was a firm favourite with Henry Fitzalan-Howard (1847 — 1917), the 15th Duke of Norfolk and became first choice for the Duke & Duchesses’ Summer retreat.
No one really knows why the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk chose the Stewarts Hotel above other Bournemouth hotels, but the most plausible explanation is the hotel’s location — opposite the Roman Catholic, Sacred Heart Church. Henry Fitzalan-Howard was a major supporter of the Catholic Church in the years following Catholic Emancipation.
In honour of its regular VIP guests and in tribute to the major role that The Dukes of Norfolk have played in English life over the years, the Stewarts Hotel changed its name to The Norfolk Royale Hotel in 1910.
In 1974, the Hotel qualified for listed building status, including the art nouveau veranda, which was added to the front in 1903.
The Hotel was completely updated in 1988 when an extra block was built along St Stephen’s Road. The 17th Duke of Norfolk, Miles, was at the reopening of the hotel where he unveiled a commemorative blue plaque attached to the building.
In more recent times The Norfolk Royale Hotel has undergone a multi million pound refurbishment programme.